I-25 / I-45 Challenger Inverted Vertical Lathe
- Hover over image to enlarge
The inverted traveling spindle, with workholding chuck, is positioned face down with tools positioned below the part. The inverted spindle makes auto load/unload very simple, rigid, and reliable. The spindle, on a compound X-Z axis cross-slide, loads/unloads a workpiece using the chuck as a part holder and part loader. The X-axis travel can be programmed to extend the spindle outside the machine envelop for pick-up and placement of the part on a part feed system. This eliminates separate load handling mechanisms and controls. With hundreds of tooling combination possibilities, the SMS Challenger is the most diversified multi-process inverted vertical lathe on the market.
- Multiple-operations in one chucking ensures high accuracy and reduces cycle time.
- Integrated automatic loading / unloading
- Low cost per piece through high productivity
- Easily accessible, generous working area
- No setup is needed between operations; number offixtures required is reduced.
Specifications I-25-MP (In.) I-45-MP (In.)
|Max. Turning Diameter||16||22|
|Max. Turning Length||11.8||15.7|
|Max. Spindle RPM||4,000 RPM||3,000 RPM|
|Spindle Bearing I.D.||5.1||7.1|
|Spindle Power||20 hp||41.5 hp|
|X-Axis Rapid Traverse||2,362 IPM||1,650 IPM|
|Z-Axis Rapid Traverse||1,181 IPM||1,181 IPM|
|Weight||15,500 lb||20,042 lb|